HRCI test specifications: The percentages that follow each functional area heading are the PHR and SPHR percentages respectively.
Strategic Management (12%, 26%): The processes and activities used to formulate HR objectives practices, and policies to meet the short and long range organizational needs and opportunities to guide and lead the change process to evaluate HR’s contributions to organizational effectiveness.
1) Interpret information related to the organization’s operation’s operations from internal sources including financial /accounting marketing, operations , information technology and individual employees in order to participate in strategic planning and policy making.
2) Interpret information related to the general business environment industry practices and developments, and technological developments from external sources (for example, publications, governments documents, media and trade organizations) in order to participate is strategic planning and policy making.
3) Participate as a partner in the organization’s strategic planning process.
4) Establish strategic relationships with individuals in the organization, to influence organizational decision making.
5) Establish relationships/ alliances with key individuals in the community and in professional capacities to assist in meeting the organization’s strategic needs.
6) Evaluate HR’s contribution to organizational effectiveness including assessment, design, implementing and evaluation f activities with respect to strategic and organizational measurement in HR objectives.
7) Provide direction and guidance during changes in organizational processes operations, planning, intervention leadership training, and culture that balances the expectations and needs of the organizations, its employees and other stakeholders (including customers).
8) Develop and shape organizational policy related to the organization’s management of its human resources.
9) Cultivate leadership and ethical values in self and others through modeling and teaching.
10) Provide information for the organizational budgeting process including budget development and review.
11) Monitor legislative environment form proposed changes in law and take appropriate action to support modify or stop the proposal action (for example write, to a member of Congress provide expert testimony at a public hearing. Lobby legislators).
1) Lawmaking and administrative regulatory processes.
2) Internal and external environmental scanning techniques
3) Strategic planning process and implementation
4) Organizational social responsibility (for example, welfare to work, philanthropy, alliances with community based organization).
5) Management functions, including planning, organizing directing and controlling
6) Techniques to sustain creativity and innovation
Workforce planning and employment (26%, 16%)
The processes of planning developing, implementing administering and performing ongoing evaluation of recruiting, hiring, orientation and organizational exit to ensure that the workforce will meet the organization’s goals and objectives.
1) Identify staffing requirements to meet the goals and objectives of the organization.
2) Conduct job analyses to write job descriptions and develop job competencies
3) Identify and document the essential job functions for position.
4) Establish hiring criteria based on the competencies needed.
5) Assess internal workforce labor market and recruitment agencies to determine the availability of qualified applicants.
6) Identify internal and external recruitment methods and implement them within the context of the organization’s goals and objectives.
7) Develop strategies to market the organizations to potential applicants.
8) Established selection procedures including interviewing testing, and reference and background checking.
9) Implement selection procedures including interviewing, testing, and reference and background checking.
10) Develop and /or extend employment.
11) Perform or administer post offer employment activities (for example, employment agreements, completion of 1-9 verification form, relocation agreements and medical exams).
12) Facilitate and /or administer the process by which non US citizens can legally work in the United States.
13) Designs facilitate and /or conduct the orientation process, including review of performance standards for new hires and transfers.
14) Evaluate selection and employment processes for effectiveness and implement changes of indicated (for example employees’ retention).
15) Develop a succession planning process.
16) Develop and implement the organizational exist process, including unemployment insurance claim responses.
17) Develop implement manage, and evaluate affirmative action program (s) as may be required.