It definitely contributes to the improvement of human relations when all other functions of human resources management are performed effectively. But the significance is that the human relations carry demands performing this as a separate function. The following are the measures to promote and maintain human relations:
1. By promoting honesty among the individuals.
2. Frankness clears the misunderstanding and restores the good relation. One way by which this can be promoted is to be frank one self and appreciate the frankness of others.
3. Effective communication also, in a way improves the relations among people. Disputes can be effectively handled only when the manager is effective in his communication.
4. By developing sensitivity to othersâ€™ feelings and an ability to appreciate othersâ€™ ideas.
5. By becoming a good leader the manger can bring cohesion in the group he leads and thus can contribute to the improvement of human relations.
6. By speaking about your own mistakes before criticizing the others.
7. By requesting the others instead of issuing direct orders.
8. By praising the subordinates publicly even for the slight improvement. But do not o this with over ambition.
9. By making the other people happy about doing the think you suggest.
10. By winning the people to your way of thinking by means of showing respect for the other manâ€™s opinions and ideas.
11. Making oneâ€™s home and personal life happier will help in a long way in maintaining harmonious human relations with others as he would be in the life position of â€œI am O.K.â€? to some extent.
12. By treating the subordinates with dignity and respect.
13. By understanding all the human needs and giving due preferences in satisfying them.
14. By helping the people in performing their duties.
In order to understand the people one must know the fundamentals of human behavior. This knowledge helps the manager to know peopleâ€™s behavior, their needs, ambitions, motivation of people to act.
Concept of Personality
The behavior of any person partly depends on what he feels and thinks about himself. The image that he has got may not be true. But it is important to use because his actions are, most of the time, the result of his own self-image. We should be less judgmental and more perceptive of his actions to understand him better.
The next thing that is important to us to understand him better is how he views the world and others. Though his behavior is not really logical, it appears logical and consistent to him for the above mentioned two reasons that is the view about self and about the world.
Personality is the sum total of the physical, mental, emotional and social characteristics of a person. All these attributes together make the fundamental structure of personality of a particular individual. For this reason one finds it difficult to change any attribute which is only one component of his whole personality. He has to change the total structure of the personality if he has to change one component of it. All this doesnâ€™t mean that personality of the individual cannot be changed at all it only means that changing personality is a complex process that involves of his perceptions of himself and the world.
Difference among people exist not only in their physical appearance, voice, language and habits but also in their motives, attitudes, abilities and thoughts, but these may not be readily apparent.
People react quite differently to the same stimulus as there is considerable difference in the abilities, attitudes and temperament of people. A challenging problem may frustrate an incompetent person but may stimulate a competent one. The manager must be very perceptive to understand this and to adjust his approach to suit to the individual needs of persons.