Organization Development is the attempt to influence the members of an organization to expand their candidness with each other about their views of the organization and their experience in it, and to take greater responsibility for their own actions as organization members. The assumption behind OD is that when people pursue both of these objectives simultaneously, they are likely to discover new ways of working together that they experience as more effective for achieving their own and their shared (organizational) goals. And that when this does not happen, such activity helps them to understand why and to make meaningful choices about what to do in light of this understanding” (Neilsen, “Becoming an OD Practitioner”, Englewood Cliffs, CA: Prentice-Hall, 1984
The aim of organizational development is to focus and improve the effectiveness and productivity of an organization. Its sole purpose is to make the workplace more result-oriented. The OD process starts with the emergence and identification of problems and sorting it out within the organization. It is a cyclic process and ends only when the desired result is obtained. No one can decide which is the best organizational development process to solve the problem; it is more like a trial and error method.
Here are the different stages or phases of the organizational development process:
• Problem identification
• Situational assessment
• Action planning/ planning of the intervention
• Implement plan/ implementing the intervention
• Gather data/ collect data to evaluate the intervention
• Determining the results
Today, organizations are facing changes and challenges like never before. As soon as one problem is detected and solved another one emerges on the surface. Sometime it seems like peeling off layers of an onion. This cycle keeps repeating despite the efforts to diagnose the client’s problem and solve it. Many organizations view recurring problems as inherent in the chaotic environment of today’s highly charged and competitive environment.
We can understand the roles of OD more easily by comparing it to medical science. In medicine worlds physicians mostly rely on empirical forms of research to cure the symptoms. First physicians study the problem then start curing it and wait to see the result. If the symptom goes away then the treatment is considered effective and right, otherwise another treatment is followed. Though comforting one problem does not imply that other ailments could not hit the patient as a result an individual has to treat one or another ailment for better and healthy life. Similarly in an organization one or the other problem springs up and there is no definite way to deal with the problem. Most of the time officials follow the trial and error method to sort out the issue in less time and in a more productive way.
The OD follows various techniques processes, approaches, methods, applications and methods to sort out the issues. There are no certain set of methods to sort out the organizational problem as it keeps changing from time to time depending on the issues.
However there are some basic considerations that most people make when selecting from among the many choices for organizational development.
- Is change method effective for the sorting out the issue? Organization’s follow SWOT to deal with rising issue. They aim at realistic goals and plan a complete strategy to achieve the goals.
- Does the plan have capacity to sort out the problems and will help the organization in achieving the goal in a better way. One of the best ways to check the credibility of any method is to find its history in previous matters if it was successful in dealing in similar matters then there are great chances that it will for your organization as well.
- Has the nature of activity been compatible to the culture of the organization? First discuss about the activity with the organization members only after that apply it in the organization.
- How timely the technique will provide the solution? There are a few problems like cash crisis that require immediate action and the result choose a path that promises timely result.
- Does your organization have enough resources to support the activity? Consider resources like funding, attention and time from people and facilities.
Find out the best approach and developmental activity and infuse life in your organization and make it successful for the long run.