Art of delegation is some thing we have always heard and discussed in detail and also I have written articles about it. There are also barriers to delegation. In this article I am writing about these.
Delegating the job is a need of the time. When everybody is heavily loaded with task and responsibilities, delegation is the only, method to share the reasonability smartly and achieve the goal without missing any important aspect.
Delegating tasks to the subordinate shows the efficiency of the manager, only a smart and intelligent manager could delegate the right task to the right person ensuring better accuracy and flawless result. A manger’s day is full of responsibility and liabilities; to meet the entire task successfully it is a must to share the responsibility with the right personnel. A successful delegation is beneficial for the manager as well as for the subordinates.
The task of delegation is not at all easy there are various barriers that make the delegation task tough for the manager as well as for the subordinate. For successful delegation it is important to know what the barriers are and how a manager could tactfully solve it.
- Habitual: Many managers find it awkward to share their job and responsibility. They counter the ideal of delegation with the view that they are responsible for their task and no one else could perform their job.
- I’m the best: Many managers believe that only they can perform their job with highest accuracy and sincerity and others will not take it seriously.
- No time to train: Many managers make the excuse that their subordinates are not qualified enough or trained enough to successfully carry their job and instead of spending time in training a person it is better to carry out the job by themselves.
- Insecurity: One of the most common reason managers avoided to delegate their task is that it caused insecurity. Many managers consider that delegating their job could cause a threat to their position and job. It is the fear and insecurity that does not motivate them to delegate the job.
- Less control: It is true that delegating the job to others lessens the control over the task and it could be a challenge to track the progress of the task.
- Keep busy: Many managers avoid delegating the task and love to keep themselves engrossed and busy in the routine task.
On the contrary a good manager will always delegate the task intelligently, it will help in creating a line of skilled and trained professionals, equal distribution of task ensures better output and better utilization of available resources.
Apart from the ones mentioned above there are many other factors that create barriers in delegation of the task. To make the delegation successful it is essential to make the organization well-prepared to support the delegation:
- There are many organizations that support delegation in theory, but the other rules and regulation hamper the path of successful delegation. For eg. A subordinate is given the authority to buy stationery for a particular department, but the accounts department does not provide the support.
- Delegate a complete job, many managers delegate jobs in crunches for eg. A subordinate is supposed to collect and interpret all the data, but is not allowed to make any decision or they do not have access to the required information to make any decision on their own.
- The subordinates may be already overburdened with the responsibilities.
- Many managers resented the rise of their subordinates due to insecurity.
- Subordinates are not well-trained to perform the delegated task successfully.
- Lack of interest and motivation on the part of subordinate for accepting new duty.
- Delegate right task to right subordinate for successful completion of the task.
To make the task of delegation successful it is important to train both sides that is the manager and the subordinates. The purpose of the delegation is to make the task easier, result-oriented and accurate.
A successful manager knows how to get maximum benefit from job delegation and create a versatile workforce. Delegation also improves productivity and quality of the end-result. The process of delegation makes second line more responsible and sincere for the task. The success of delegation task largely depends on the efficiency of the manager. Learn to share your responsibility and play your part successfully.