Companies use sales promotion tools – coupons, contests, premiums, and the like to draw a stronger ad quicker buyer response. Sales promotion can be used for short-run effects such as to highlight product offers and boost sagging sales. Sales promotion tools offer three distinctive benefits:
1. Communication – They gain attention and may lead the consumer to the product.
2. Incentive – They incorporate some concession, inducement, or contribution that gives value to the consumer.
3. Invitation — They include a distinct invitation to engage in the transaction now.
Marketers tend to under use public relations, yet a well-thought-out program coordinated with the other communications-mix elements can be extremely effective. The appeal of public relations and publicity is based on three distinctive qualities:
1. High credibility – News stories and features are more authentic and credible to readers than ads.
2. Ability to catch buyers off guard – Public relations can reach prospects preferring to avoid salesperson and advertisements.
3. Dramatization – Public relations has the potential for dramatizing a company or product.
Events and Experiences: There are many advantages to events and experiences:
1. Relevant – A well-chosen event or experiences can be seen as highly relevant as the consumer gets personally involved.
2. Involving – Given their live, real-time quality, consumer can find events and experiences more actively engaging.
3. Implicit – Events are more of an indirect “soft-sell”
Direct Marketing: The many forms of direct marketing – direct mail, telemarketing, Internet marketing – share three distinctive characteristics. Direct marketing is:
1. Customized – The message can be prepared to appeal to the addressed individual.
2. Up-to-date – A message can be prepared very quickly.
3. Interactive – The message can be changed depending on the person’s response.
Personal selling: Personal selling is the most effective tool at later stages of the buying process, particularly in building up buyer preference, conviction and action. Personal selling has three distinctive qualities:
1. Personal interaction – Personal selling involves an immediate and interaction relationship between two or more persons. Each party is able to observe the other’s reactions.
2. Cultivation – Personal selling permits all kinds of relationships to spring up, ranging from a matter-of-fact selling relationship to a deep personal friendship.
3. Response – Personal selling makes the buyer feel under some obligation for having listened to the sales talk.