About bosses and their approach

Men are preferred bosses as they are faster in decision making and liberal in awarding functional autonomy to their subordinates, a survey by industry body Assocham says. A survey on ‘Preference of Bosses in Emerging Corporate Culture’, in which about 2,500 executives participated, about 68% of them showed preference for male bosses as they give more operational freedom at work while the remaining 32% did not have any preference.

According to the survey, 1,450 female and male executives would be too happy to have male bosses. Interestingly, of the 68% executives who voted for male bosses, two-third of them were female, while the remaining one-third were male.

The majority of executives who voted for male bosses, argued that women approach work with more emotion than men and their concentration towards work is not complete because of various factors such as motherhood that more often than not keeps them divided. Consequently, neither the assigned work is accomplished nor job satisfaction derived by the subordinates and leads to breeding of discontentment among the juniors, the survey said. The remaining 32% of the respondents, who had participated in the survey, said it does not matter that the boss is a male or female: The better the bosses, the longer the stability factor. On working with strict bosses, majority of the executives said they would opt for an early exist as today there are immense opportunities available.

Analyze the situations: Boss may favor another colleague because s/he is a personal friend, or because s/he is attractive. Moreover, you will notice that people who become the ‘boss’s pet’ a certain level of expertise to do so. Assess the situation before saying something.

Always speak to the boss on this, and never put things in writing. Boss and his/her pet can distort your statements to put you in a tight spot. Don’t send e-mails to colleagues about this issue as some may report to the boss.

Boss may refuse your statements and argue that s/he is a fair manager or threaten you with dire consequences. Anticipate all the adverse effects and be prepared to face or challenge them.

It could very well be that ones manager’s actions are not deliberate, or that s/he doesn’t realize the impact of his/her actions on others. Keep an open mind before becoming judgmental.

Favoritism builds resentment and lowers productivity. Moreover, boss’s pet employee may also blackmail you for undue favors that are not your discretion. So, favoritism is best avoided.

In professional environment the companies have to work bosses (managers) are changing to a result oriented culture where they have to scoop out performance from each and every individual of his team. Favoritism may not help the boss all the times except it is that of a personal case with opposite sex.

A real good boss is not the one who is very kind to his team members’ mistakes and allows targets to drift. A boss must be a leader by example and can get the work done by his team achieving targets and at the same time earning their respect. For this he can follow,

* Allow employees opportunities to make their own decisions about controlling their own job. Generally, if an important decision does not take into account the input of the employee who has to carry it out, it may be perceived negatively.
* Use adult-to-adult communication style with colleagues / employees. Treat them with fairness. Utilize and consistently apply good workplace policies and procedures.
* If only a few people have violated the norms, don’t go about creating ‘rules’ for the entire workforce. Keep rules directing the behavior at work to a minimum. Treat employees as adults and they will usually live up to employer expectations.
* Make sure information is readily accessible to everyone. Each employee should be made to feel like members of the organization. They should receive the same information as quickly as everyone else.
* Allow opportunities for employees to grow and develop. Employees feel secure and positive in an atmosphere where an organization’s commitment to its staff is perceptible. Opportunities for promotion, training, lateral moves for development, and cross training can stop negativity from developing in the first place.

Employee loyalty and ownership contribute to a positive atmosphere at work. Employees want to feel as if they are part of the bigger picture. If the direction and their role in achieving a certain goal is well explained to them, they will definitely be motivated to contribute more. The mission vision and goals must be effectively communicated.

* Rewards and recognition are a big motivating factor. If employees are made that their contribution is valued, the results will be remarkable.

If negativity is eliminated from work life, one will go a long way in building a positive, productive and supportive work environment and Bosses can play a vital role in this.