Considering India Post we all have an opinion that they only do a ‘Post man’s job’ meaning very routine and without any initiatives. The reason is lack of our knowledge with regards to the working of India Post. They have grown and introduced a lot of products at affordable prices to general public and that too with greater efficiency than the high cost private couriers.
We are giving this article here for the professionals and management students to know how they can benefit from the economical operations of the department. Already some corporates are utilizing the serices of the department for posting their Annual and Quarterly reports all over India.
Department of Posts always had a twin focus. One is to provide postal services at affordable rates all over the country. Second is to provide effective products and services to meet specific needs of business customers. Recently however there has been another priority area, which is to leverage the vast reach of post offices and to enter into strategic business tie ups with Government, public as well as private organizations. The priorities and product mix of the Department has always been aligned to customers’ needs. Thus, Speed Post was introduced to meet the requirements of business sector for a quick and reliable mail service. Bill Mail Service was introduced to provide a cost effective mail service for increasing transaction based mail from telecom, finance and other growing sector for the new economy. Direct Post has been introduced to meet the marketing requirements of a burgeoning economy.
New Products and Services offered by Indian Post:
1. Acceptance of MSEB bills in Maharasthra excluding Mumbai.
2. Acceptance MPSC application forms for various examination.
3. Acceptance of Telephone MTNL Bills in Mumbai
4. Acceptance of BSNL bills through selected Post Offices in Mumbai
5. Acceptance of BEST bills in Mumbai
6. Acceptance of MGL bills through selected Post Offices in Mumbai
7. Sale of forms for various examination conducted by MPSC Mumbai
8. Sale of forms for various examination conducted by UPSC
9. Sale of forms of MBA/MCA of Director of technical Education Mumbai
10. Sale of Rakhi Covers of DUPONT India Limited through selected post Offices
11. Sale of Gold Coins through selected Post Offices in Maharashtra.
12. Sale of Mutual Funds of UTI/Reliance/PNB/SBI and Franklin Templeton
13. Issue of Railways reservation tickets through installation of PRS terminal in Mumbai and Goa Region.
14. Tie up between India Post and State Bank of India for providing Micro Finance Services
15. Tie up between India Post and MCX(GSK) at Jalgaon and Amravati or providing Agri services and Sale of Agri inputs.
16. Tie up between India Post and NABARD for providing loans through SELF HELP GROUPS (SHG).
17. Distribution of RBI Coins through selected Post Offices in Mumbai, Pune, Aurangabad & Nagpur Region.
18. Retailing of products/Services of M/S Reuters Market Lights through Selected Post Offices in Maharashtra.
19. Distribution of wage through Selected Post Offices under the Scheme of National Rural Employment Guarantee Act.
20. Distribution of Pension pt old age pensioners through Selected Post Offices
21. Exchange of foreign Currency through Selected Post offices.
New Proposals of India Post in Pipelines:
1. Stamp Duty Collection at selected Post Offices in Maharashtra Circle
2. Introduction of World net express a new world class, time bound international express Service from selected cities in India, in collaboration with Deutsche Post.
3. Hand Held Devices for delivery of Speed Post articles: Vehicles will be provided to delivery staff to affect delivery in a more efficient manner and to cover larger territory.
4. CITA – Center for international Trade in Agriculture & Agro based industries. Collection of Annual Subscription of Marathi Magazine – Sharad Krishi through identified POs in MH Circle.
5. Sale Easy Tickets – Reservations of Railway, Bus & Air in Maharashtra Circle.
6. Sale of Ayurvedic products of Divya Yog Trust Post Offices in Maharashtra Circle.
In conclusion this department is functioning as useful as Indian Railways and with a little more stream lining can be as efficient as a multinational banks.