In order to make efficient preparation of tools and assembly parts for the assembly line and raise productivity of assembly operations, it is important to have parts from the parts warehouse supplied smoothly. For this to happen, the following five improvement themes and improvement implementation policies were set.
Establish coherent system for the distribution of subcontracting parts
1) Make a production line of the parts warehouse at the subcontractor, transport, in house subcontracting parts warehouse, and assembly line Seiton storage racks (supply racks). The instructions for the delivery withdrawal and production for each station will be given by the production control section by video television or through written instructions.
2) The rule will be to produce the necessary item when it is necessary, in the necessary quantity and deliver it to the necessary place. Transportation will be through delivery trucks.
Structural improvements for subcontracting parts warehouse
1) The subcontracting parts warehouse will handle only the common items which are used by each assembly line.
2) Specialized parts for each assembly line and machine will be directly delivered to Seiton storage racks for the assembly line from parts warehouse at the subcontractor through communication video television or through written instructions.
Improvements in Seiton system (steps) of subcontracting parts warehouse:
1) The subcontracting parts warehouse will only store standard subcontracting parts which are used by all the assembly lines, and make deliveries to assembly line seiton storage racks (for middle sized items) and assembly line parts boxes (for small items).
2) After making deliveries and completing Seiton the empty containers and leftover items must be returned to the warehouse and Seiri must be implemented.
Improvements for Seiri system (steps) for subcontracting parts warehouse:
1) After making deliveries and completing Seiton empty containers and leftover items must be taken back and Seiri operations for leftover and returned items, according to standards and manuals, for preceding and subsequent items completed
2) During inventory at the end of the month or at the end of a period, necessary and unnecessary items will be categorized, and unnecessary items disposed of. Place labels, name labels, and grouping lists for necessary items will be updated.
Individual improvement themes for subcontracting parts warehouse
1) Improvements for divisions and division labels (for large and middle size items). Division lines and numbers that indicate storage areas for pallets for large and small items will be drawn on the floor in white. Signs will be posted to indicate fixed item names and places.
2) Improvements for racks (for middle size and small items). Seiri racks will be installed in the subcontracting parts warehouse for the storage of middle size items. Small items will be out parts boxes and stored on the racks so as to avoid restacking.
3) Pallet improvements: Pallet delivery will be restricted to large and small middle size items. Pallets will be smaller and deliveries made in small lots which do not to be re-stacked.
Main improvement Points for improvement Themes with Emphasis on Subcontracting Parts Warehouse Sieton system:
From the above five improvement themes, we decided to take up the main theme important for subcontracting parts warehouse Seiton system (steps) and sub theme and designed a concrete improvement plan with emphasis in Seiton.
Improvement points for subcontracting parts warehouse Seiton system (steps):
1) For specialized subcontracting parts for the assembly line:
When the parts warehouse at the subcontractor receives instructions form the production control via closed circuit TV it will prepare an items form which includes the name of the part, the part number, the amount, the name of the assembly line, and the number of the Seiton storage rack, attach this to the appropriate pallet, load the specialized subcontracting part, and transport it by circuitous delivery route.
The circuitous route delivery truck delivers items directly to the assembly line Seiton storage rack whose number is indicated after items are inspected for amount by person in charge at workshop takes the empty box and leaves.
2) For common use subcontracting parts (middle size) for the assembly line:
When a delivery order is received by close circuit TV from the production control section, according to delivery date and item form is inscribed with the subcontracting parts name, part number amount, and divisional number of subcontracting warehouse, as indicated and the item is transported by circuitous route delivery truck.
The delivery truck will unload the order at the indicated subcontracting parts division.
When the subcontracting parts warehouse receives a withdrawal order by close circuit TV an item form will be prepared separately for each separate part of assembly order, and each Seiton storage rack number indicating the subcontracting part name, part number amount, Seiton storage rack number and assembly line number, designated parts will be put into parts boxes, and withdrawn by forklift to the division of the Seiton storage rack.
After withdrawal and Seiton are completed the empty parts boxes and leftover items must be returned.
3) For subcontracting parts (small) used in common for assembly line:
The following changes will be made, in correspondence with item 2. At the subcontractor’s parts warehouse, the parts will be out in parts boxes right away, and stored on the subcontracting parts warehouse racks. At the subcontracting parts warehouse they will be withdrawn and delivered to the parts box rack for the assembly line.