The Indian Human Resource Convention 2010 was held on 12 April 2010 at, Pune. This event was very successfully arranged by The Human Excellence Network and Tackyon IT Consulting Private Limited. It focused on Human Resource Excellence in current economic scenario. Here we share the learning and understanding from the session on ‘Understanding the global economic scenario and its impact on Human Resource’. This session was facilitated by Mr. Anuj Joshi, Vice President World Medical Network & GBG Inc. He shared the following points along with a case study, where he had implemented an HR Intervention and its outcome. He began with what is required of the HR managers which includes,
- HR manger’s competence – Understanding, appreciating and applying strategic though as business facilitator and Being a realist .It is very important that the HR Manager communicate accurately with proactive information sharing to reduce stress. Often we have seen that the information, when clogged causes bottlenecks for performance. Hence the HR Managers needs to act as a gateway. Furthermore it is important that the HR Manager inculcate skills of other functions such as Finance.
- Managing Knowledge workers – The HR manager should understand, appreciate and ensure that workforce irrespective of their place of belonging can align to the organizational objectives. It is very important to manage the expat workforce, ensuring a seamless transfer within the intercontinental or inter-country offices. Policies such as internal mobility, benefits and retrials needs to be relooked.
- Managing technological changes which impacts HR policy and planning – The Industrial relations perspective to the technology may get completely outdated. Technology should be considered as a game changer which can impact style and work expectation. It requires more HR understanding of this impact and communicates it to all the stakeholders in order to plan changes and policies. e.g. – When email was first introduced in a company Mr. Anuj Joshi worked, the mail department which employed more than 200 employees was to be closed down in phases. This required a lot of sensitive communication made within the company to avoid any kneejerk reaction from the employees.
- Leadership Development- A measurement tool and a policy on groom is quintessential. Investment plans for training in three critical area which includes domain specific , behavioural and technical. The entire program needs to be based on On The Job Training Experience.
- Change Management – A holistic approach to Tactical changes such as downsizing , benefits reduction, right sizing and other reaction to business realities is required .
Take a hard look on how we spend a day in HR – It should include
o Administrative expert initiatives where cost and the qualities in the Functions has to be looked into
o Strategic Business Partner where HR connects the decision made in the conference room to the shop floor.
o Employee Champion – The voice of the employee is heard by the management
o Player – Coach, architect design , facilitate and be a leader
o Change agent – Shape processes to increase an organization’s capacity for change
Few HR Strategic Initiatives –
- Using a real, verified Job Description and metric of new hires against cost and existing vendors
- Complete a competition – check the leading and the lagging factors within the HR Functions.
- Build Bad Management Identification – Talents join company and leave people
- Create and deliver your own EVP – Employee Value Proposition, by focussing on Compensation and benefit, affiliations creating from trust and transparency and work content.
Finally there was a discussion on of creating the EVP within the GBG Inc. Mr. Anuj Joshi shared that every employee was explained ‘What’s in it for me in the job ‘shifting the focus from ‘What it means to work here’. He created a process wherein every offering within the organization was benchmarked with its global competitors and shared to the employee. He stressed upon the individual perspective of the organizational Goals and This led the transparency in the processes and better decision making for the employee.